Nottingham Selective Licensing: What you need to know

< Back to W&A Nottingham Selective Licensing Hub

Nottingham Selective Licensing

Find out everything you need to know on Nottingham Selective Licensing.

A new Nottingham licensing scheme for Landlords will be implemented on 1st August 2018. The aim of the scheme is to ‘raise the standards in the privately rented sector, and to ensure that all tenants living in them are able to enjoy a safe, comfortable and well managed home’. A landlord will need a licence for every property they own within the affected areas.

This could be a big blow for Landlords who already keep privately rented properties at a high standard.

We calculate that 94% of Landlords will be affected by this Licensing Scheme.

Who will need to apply?

Anyone who owns a privately rented home in the designated Nottingham areas will need to apply for a licence. The only exception is for those properties which already have an HMO licence.

The designated areas  for Nottingham Selective Licensing will be as follows:

Arboretum, Bestwood, Bulwell, Bulwell Forest, Basford, Berridge, Bridge, Clifton North, Clifton South, Dales, Dunkirk and Lenton, Leen Valley, Mapperley, Radford and Park, Sherwood, St Ann’s, Wollaton East and Lenton Abbey.

Applications for Selective Licensing should open on 1st July 2018. If your property is included then we advise you to act now to get all required documents together for your application. We are more than aware that this is an unwelcome situation and are still campaigning against certain aspects, on our clients’ behalf.

Is my property in the Selective Licensing area?

Visit the below website and enter your rental property postcode to find out if you are within the licensing area.

What is the cost?

The City Council will be charging a Nottingham Selective Licensing fee of £780 per property, although we can help you achieve some reductions. Those Landlords who have already taken and implemented our advice will achieve a further reduction. At the time of writing, the cost of the licence is tax deductible.

You will of course have to factor in other costs which will help you achieve ‘approval’ for a licence. This includes the cost for:

  • Detailed floor plans with accurate measurements
  • Landlord insurance
  • A Criminal Record (CRB) Check
  • An electrical safety support
  • A valid gas safety certificate
  • An EPC (Energy Performance) certificate
  • A PAT test for portable appliances left in the property
  • Relevant Landlord training (if your property is not managed by Walton & Allen)

What if you don’t have a licence?

The council also state that anyone who doesn’t have a licence after 1st August 2018 could receive a civil penalty of up to £30,000, or prosecution on summary conviction which carries an unlimited maximum fine. Landlords may also be prevented from holding a licence in the future and/or may be subject to a rent repayment order.

Can you get a fee reduction?

Nottingham City Council have said there will be no discount for having multiple properties. The full licence fee must be paid for every property you own in the affected areas. You can get a discounted fee by applying to certain accreditation bodies such as DASH or Unipol. Unfortunately, there are other costs to apply and you may have to spend money in improving your property to meet their standards.

Walton & Allen are working towards achieving a discounted fee if you have a property managed by us. We would also ensure you are fully compliant throughout the 5 years.

Nottingham Landlords who live abroad

Non UK landlords will not be able to qualify for a licence and so will need a managing agent to be the ‘licence holder’. We can take that responsibility for these individuals, but only on a fully managed basis. This is because there are significant responsibilities during the 5 year licence period. Monitoring is required, including rent collection and reactions to Nottingham City Council requests during that time. E.g. tenant antisocial behaviour.

What are your next steps for Selective Licensing?

Walton & Allen can help you. We have experience of Selective Licensing requirements as we have helped Landlords get licences within the Ashfield District Council area in North Nottinghamshire. We are therefore ahead of the game and are offering ‘Get NSL Ready’ clinics every Friday when between 1 and 5 Landlords can attend, by appointment. These will last one hour and are free to attend.

During this time you will

    • Learn how to save on the cost of a licence through W&A
    • Learn the steps you need to take to gain approval
    • Have the opportunity to ask any questions about the scheme

Book your NSL Clinic place before spaces fill up!

From time to time we may send emails relating to the property market or landlord updates. Would you like to receive these updates?
Yes PleaseNo Thank You

Need more advice?

You can email with any questions, where our Nottingham Selective Licensing team will get back to you as soon as possible. You can also call 0115 924 3304.

What do you think about Nottingham Selective Licensing?

Leave your comments for us below.

< Back to W&A Selective Licensing Hub